Sunday, March 11, 2012

Farmer Brian

We have talked about building a vegetable garden in our backyard every year since we moved in five years ago. I love the idea of saving money, eating healthy, and feeling a little self-sufficient. I, unfortunately have the opposite of a green thumb. Black thumb, maybe? In college, my roommate and I even killed a cactus that was growing in our dorm room...I didn't know it was even possible to kill a cactus, they grow in the dessert for crying out loud!

Anyways, Brian knew he would be going into this endeavour alone (well with my moral support). I don't know if it is the fact that we have kids, or just that we are somewhat night owls, but most projects that go on in our house happen at night. After work on Friday, Brian stopped by Home Depot (between our garage renovation and now this, I'm thinking we should have purchased stock...) to get his supplies. He bought 2 raised garden frame, 16 bags of top soil, 4 bags of garden soil, 3 tomato cages, seeds, 3 tomato plants, 3 cucumber plants, and 2 squash plants for about $160.

In addition to the plants, Brian also planted a variety of seeds: purple whole peas, green beans, corn, watermelon, green onions, okra, and carrots. He is so proud of his little garden, and with this rain spell we have had the past few days, hopefully we will have some fresh veggies in the next couple of months.
Carson and James also helped him plant the remaining corn today. I think Carson is just as excited as Brian!

No comments: