Friday, July 22, 2011

Fun Find Friday: Family Activities

I thought I would start something new on here and see how it goes! "Fun Find Friday" is pretty self explanatory: I find cool stuff and share a category with you on Friday.

Since there are still a couple of weeks left for summer, why not kick this off with family activities to get some quality time in with the kiddos! Links to the original website can be found by clicking on the underlined title.


Frozen Fun: A treasure hunt that is a cool way to pass some time in this heat! Project could be cheap or free depending on whether you want to purchase new treasure our just dig up left over party favors from the bottom of the toy chest. Toys can be frozen into a large brick for longer play time or into individual ice cube trays for those with a shorter attention span. Would also be fun to teach science by testing different methods for melting the ice (salt, warm water, etc.).



Milk Painting: You can all do this with items from your kitchen: milk, food coloring, and "magic" toothpick (one that has been dipped in dish soap). The dish soap makes the colors shoot across the milk creating a kaleidoscope appearance!


Scratch and Sniff Painting: Another easy art project! Mix Kool-Aid and coordinating paint color for a sweet-smelling craft project!



Drive-In Movie: We may need to wait until it cools off a little for this one, or just do it in our living room. Would be really cute to get all the neighborhood kids together with a lawn full of cars!



Soap Cloud: It seems like this project could do double duty as a science/cleaning project! Put a bar of plain ivory soap in the microwave for 2 minutes and watch it grow!



Rainbow Rice Play Garden: This sensory activity would be awesome for Deacon to explore in. You could make this project last all day! The blogger said she started with the book Planting a Rainbow then mixed food coloring, alcohol and rice together and let dry in the sun. What a nice alternative to gritty sand!

8 comments:

ShareandRemember said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog & sharing my rainbow rice bin on your post. It's definitely one of the most popular posts on my blog. I hope your boys enjoy it!

Love Sweet Love said...

Thank you SO much for sharing my cars, I'm so flattered! What great and fun ideas you found for summer-I think my kids would be so entertained by the ice treasures, thanks so much for sharing!
Angela

The Scott Family said...

Thank y'all for stopping by too!! So nice to steal ideas from you (I found your sights on pinterest!)

Jenn said...

I pinned those Drive in movie cars too - just LOVE them! The milk idea is new to me. I think my kids would totally get a kick out of that. Thanks for sharing!!
Jenn :)

Tammie said...

What wonderful ideas! Love them all. Thanks for commenting on Angela's Love Sweet Love blog. That is how I found you! Now I'm your newest follower :)

The Scott Family said...

Yay!! Thanks ladies, so nice to have you! :)

Tammy said...

Thanks so much for sharing my Ivory soap cloud! My kiddos love experimenting and this is one of their favorites so far.

Shannon said...

Glad you liked the "Scratch and Sniff Painting" activity. Thanks for the link!