Monday, August 30, 2010

Dear Me,

At my recent 10 year high school reunion, I received a letter I had written to myself at the end of my junior year of high school. I was so excited to get it, and was amazed by how insightful I was at 16. Here it is:

May 21, 1999

Well, I guess it's pretty strange to be reading a letter from myself 11 years ago. I wasn't really sure how to start the letter. This is our final writing assignment for my English III class for my Junior year. As of right now I am 16 yrs. old still driving my crappy '91 Ford Taurus. There is only one week left of school & then I will officially be a Senior. I still live w/ my parents (like you don't know that!). Joni and Daniel live over in Deer Park w/ my 4 month old nephew, Ethan. My parents & I get along pretty well except about my room being clean. My best friends as of now are Meredith Easter and Lindsey Bussey. They are a lot of fun to be around. Tonight is the first time to start my job as a lifeguard. I am really excited, but a little nervous about the job.

There were a lot of things I didn't do in high school that I wanted. A good friend of mine told me that what you do in high school has no effect on your life out of high school & if I know this now, I will be wise the rest of my life. There were many regrets I had in high school, but all were learning experiences. No matter what anyone says, friends are more important than guys; not everyone can be forgiven, but that's okay; no matter how nice you are, there is always someone who doesn't like you. The most important rule I learned was that hard work pays off.

After graduation, I want to go to Sam Houston State University to major in Elementary Education & minor in child psychology. It has been my life dream to become a teacher. Hopefully they make more money now!! I want to be married by now & start having tons of kids! Hopefully nothing will stand in the way of my dreams!!

See you in 11 years.,
Jackie

Well, I'm a teacher, married, and on my way to having a couple (probably not TONS) of kids. I hope the me back then would be proud.

No comments: